There’s something comforting about arriving home after a long day at work and being greeted by the aroma of chili cooking away in the crockpot.
There are a variety of chilis that you can make, but today, we will focus on white bean chicken chili. This chili is hearty and healthy, as well as being absolutely delicious. The white beans make the chili even more hearty than the average chicken noodle soup and the jalapeno pepper adds the perfect amount of heat, which is pleasant on a cool, fall evening.
The cherry on top is that this meal is super simple to do. You do not need to be proficient in cooking. In fact, all you need are just a few ingredients, a crockpot, and some patience. The total time for this meal is: 25 minutes for prep time and three hours set aside for cooking.
- 3/4 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts, which need to be cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium onion, which needs to be chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, which needs to be seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, which need to be minced
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce cans) of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained then divided
- 2 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
You might also like: Explore The Caves Of New Mexico At Carlsbad Caverns
- To begin, season the chicken with salt and pepper. Then, in a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken until browned. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same large skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium heat. Then sauté the onion until tender. Add the jalapeno, garlic, oregano, and cumin. Cook and stir for two minutes. Add all to the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mash the one cup of beans and stir in 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Stir the bean mixture and the remaining whole beans and broth into the chicken mixture.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low until the chicken is tender. The process will take about three to three-and-a-half hours.
Disclaimer: The stock image is being used for illustrative purposes only, and it is not a direct representation of the business, recipe, or activity listed. Any person depicted in the stock image is a model.